top of page
USA Flag


A foreign national adult living in the UK with settled status can apply to become a British citizen by the process known as naturalisation. Under Section 6 of British Nationality Act 1981, the Home Secretary has a discretion to grant a certificate of naturalisation to any person aged 18 or above who is not British citizen.

  • British citizenship application for the person who is married or in a civil partnership with a British citizen.

  • The applicant must be settled at the time of application.

  • Must have been living in the UK legally for at least three years continuously before making the application.

  • Must have been physically present in the UK on the date three years before the application is made.

  • Must not have been absent for more than 270 days in total during the three years qualifying period and not more than 90 days in the year immediately before the application.

  • Must be able to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of English language and sufficient knowledge of life in UK by possessing a Home Office approved qualification or passing a Home Office prescribed attachment, as specified in Schedule 2A to the 2003 regulation.

  • Must show a good character and have no criminal record.

  • If not married, then must show an intention to live in the UK.

bottom of page